
Teaching media literacy in the classroom is a very positive asset to teachers and students. But off course when living in small community such as Guam, there are limitations in regards to obtaining media equipment. Recently GPSS has been in the news numerous times for their financial problems. So, I really do not see media literacy as a priority in the classroom. I wish that the government can do research on how positive it is to prepare the students for a very technology centered future. I do believe that the use of media in the classroom has greatly improved since I was attending school. But I also think that our students on Guam are getting cheating in their education because of the lack of support in getting media in the classroom.
The video did show many advantages of media literacy but we also have to take a look at the disadvantages. There are many advantages of mass media. According to “Raising a Media-Savvy Kid” by Dr. Lorraine DeJong, children are better informed about things going on in the world, have increased vocabulary, and are stimulated to have intellectual and creative activity through exposure to the media. The author also cites disadvantages of unstructured exposure to the media. Children have a difficult time sorting through the barrage of information, and can’t form conclusions and evaluate what they are exposed to. There is also the problem of violence and sexuality that children are viewing at a young age without the knowledge to evaluate the consequences of such actions. Media contributes to the problems of adolescent sexuality, substance abuse, and violence. Teaching media literacy at a young age can be a prevention or at least part of the solution to these problems.
1 comment:
Sadly you are right! Media literacy is wonderful when the resources to acquire it is accessable and reliable. I wish that our world is reliable at all times. The saddest part is that as teachers we want to everything possible for our kids but it is so hard when there is so many obstacles in the way. The best we can do is try, inform, and prepare them the best way we can.
Post a Comment