Monday, September 17, 2007

Moodle wow!!!


Moodle is a course management system designed to help educators who want to create quality online courses. The software is used all over the world by universities, schools, companies and independent teachers. Moodle is open source and completely free to use. © Copyright 2004, Moodle
Martin Dougiamas designed Moodle under a social constructivist philosophy. This philosophy allows for a student-centered environment where learners are able to work independently, reflecting on their own work and on the work of other students, while at the same time being connected to a group of learners who can share ideas and reflect on each other’s work (Dougiamas, 1998). Rather than learning through memorization, collaborative learning encourages students to engage themselves in the process of learning.
The Moodle environment includes a platform for several features including: class schedule, assignments, participant profiles, chats, wikis, an interactive glossary, e-mail, lessons that the teacher can create, quizzes, surveys, and workshops. Chats, forums, wikis, and workshops enable students to work collaboratively. Wikis, forums, and chats serve as useful platforms for brainstorming, discussions, and debates.
I belive if I had the opportunity to incorporate Moodle in my classroom I would take full advantage of its features. But realisticlly I don't see Moodle being used in the GPSS classroom as of right now, due to the lack of computers and internet assess available to the students.

Click here for more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodle
Click her to view Blackboard vs. Moddle http://www.humboldt.edu/~jdv1/moodle/all.htm

1 comment:

Barb Jacala said...

Even without computer labs and servers in GPSS, don't you think moodle can be used for students as a supplement? I could see it used for students who are unable to attend classes for whatever reason. Maybe a way for them to do independent work?
Barbara